Our first second year project called “Performative portraits” is about us ( the artist ) dressing up as a character of our choice, dressing up as it and finally creating a self-portrait.
My idea is dressing up as a young Canadian teenage boy in a d.i.y. sports costume of his favourite hockey team. The reason I chose hockey was probably because in most of the TV series i have watched hockey has always been in them. One of the photographers I follow on YouTube ( Jared Polin ) shoots hockey matches as well and I guess subliminally my mind was telling me to pick that sport, even thought I am not involved with it in any other way than from TV or YouTube. But this project will be a good way to get to know this sport a bit more.
This is an image of the Canadian national hockey team. What i noticed about their equipment is that the shoulder pads are big and they have stuffing under their socks, kind of like in football.
These are some of my sketches regarding how the armor under my t-shirt might look like. On the left is the main bit which covers my whole upper body, or at least most of it and on the right are the shoulder pad which have to be bulky enough to resemble the ones of the players. And the weird one next to the shoulder pad is a badly drawn pillow which would serve as leg guards if I decide to dress up a goalie, because the other guys have only stuffing in their socks for protection. I’ll buy a plain white t-shirt and draw on it with a red market to look like the team’s one.
I gave the “armor” a try, but the chest piece failed really bad because either the measurements were bad or maybe the t-shirt that I bought is just too small to fit around everything. I decided to leave the chest piece out of the project because it didn’t really look like something a kid would do, and the idea is that the kid has done everything on its own and not with a parent. I left only shoulder pieces which under the shirt still look good enough even without the rest of the set.
The top of the outfit I drew myself. Picked up a plain white t-shirt from Primark and a red marker and drew the Canadian national team’s top. The leaf turned out too good to make it believable that a youngster made it, but maybe he is a born talent and can draw very well. Sad thing is, half way through painting the leaf the marker dried off and the leaf turned out a bit washed out.
This is what it looks like without and with the shoulders under the shirt.
The top isn’t a 100% accurate because I didn’t feel like it was necessary for it to be.
The stick is made from cardboard again with paper on the front side.
The helmet is a generic mixing bowl with a piece of transparent plastic on the front to simulate the shield of the face.
The gloves are generic black oven mitts..
Most of the thing bought during the making of this outfit were items that would be used in our daily lives and not only for one time use for this project, which made the actual cost of the outfit be really low. Paint would have been cheaper than the marker, but the effect would have been different. So the marker is by far the most expensive item in the project.
This is the outcome of the project. I am not particularly happy with the images. There isn’t much that shows that the character is a young person. Plus because of the short sleeve shirt my arm hair is visible. I couldn’t find a plain white long sleeve shirt. Because of the short sleeve my arm hair is visible, but I would not like to shave my arms.
If I had to choose between the two images above, I would pick the one on the left, because it shows the character actually looking up to his heroes.